Site-Search
Coming Soon

Arts & Entertainment
Books & Literature (12)
Fine Arts (16)
Movies & Television (36)
Music (18)
OTHER Arts (13)
Business
Advertising & Marketing (39)
eCommerce (22)
Economics (1)
Employment (22)
Finance (1)
Small Business (27)
Taxes & Accounting (2)
OTHER Business (31)
Computers
Hardware (10)
Internet (11)
Operating Systems (0)
Programming (8)
Software (6)
OTHER Computer (9)
Consumer Goods
Autos & Vehicles (1)
Cameras & Electronics (3)
Guarantees & Warranties (0)
Household Goods & Furniture (2)
OTHER Consumer (0)
Education
Schools & Colleges (1)
Homework (1)
Teaching (0)
OTHER Education (6)
Health
Conditions & Diseases (23)
Medicine (0)
Nutrition & Exercise (14)
OTHER Health (12)
People
Celebrities (13)
Family (0)
Romantic Relationships (2)
Other People (0)
Recreation
Antiques & Collectibles (0)
Hobbies (2)
Pets (77)
Sports (10)
Travel (0)
OTHER Recreation (1)
Reference
Food & Cooking (8)
History & Genealogy (1210)
Legal (5)
News & Events (0)
Research (0)
OTHER Reference (0)
Science
Biology, Earth Science & Environment (3)
Math, Physics, Astronomy & Chemistry (0)
Social Sciences (1)
OTHER Science (0)
Society
Countries (0)
Politics (7)
Religion (9)
OTHER Society (5)
Everything Else
Everything Else... (5)






Page and site
© 2008-2014 by Andrew J. Morris
All Rights Reserved

all contributed content copyrighted by the contributing author
Notice: While much of the content on this site comes from free reprint sources, not ALL articles are available for re-use. Please contact the author for permission before reprinting any content.







Burwell (St. Mary) in Cambridge County England History and Geography

BURWELL (ST. MARY), a parish in the hundred of STAPLOE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (N.W. by W.) from Newmarket, containing 1518 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with which the rectory of Burwell-St.-Andrew is consolidated, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated jointly in the king's books at 30. 14. 2., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Guilford, on the nomination of the University of Cambridge. The church is a beautiful edifice, in the decorated style of English architecture: the rental of one hundred acres of arable land is appropriated for preserving it in repair. The church of St. Andrew has long been demolished, and the cemetery converted into pasture land. The village consists principally of one irregular street, about three quarters of a mile long, the houses in which are built with a peculiar kind of stone obtained in quarries in the vicinity, in which pyrites, and sharks teeth in good preservation, have been found. A great fair for horses is held annually on Rogation-Monday, at Reach, once a market-town, now an insignificant hamlet, partly in this parish. A navigable cut extends from this place. Here are the ruins of a castle, surrounded by a moat, which was besieged in the war between Stephen and the Empress Matilda, by Geoffrey de Mandeville, Earl of Essex, who was shot by an arrow from the walls. The parish register contains the record of a melancholy event arising from a fire that broke out in a barn, in the evening of the 8th of September, 1727, whereby seventy-eight persons who had assembled to witness a puppetshow, lost their lives; the mangled and half consumed bodies of the sufferers were promiscuously interred in two pits, dug for them in the church-yard.

From Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831, courtesy of Databases 4 Sale

Negocios Mexicano
History of Photography Your Ad Here

Readers of this page were also interested in:

Bridg-Water in Somerset County England History and Geography

BRIDG-WATER, a port, borough, market town and parish, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of North Petherton, county of SOMERSET, 35 miles (S.W.) from Bristol, 20 (W.S.W.) from Wells, and 137 (W. by S.) from London, containing 6155 inhabitants

Halstead in Essex County England History and Geography

HALSTEAD, a market town and parish in the hundred of HINCKFORD, county of ESSEX, 17 miles (N.N.E.) from Chelmsford, and 47 (N.R.) from London, containing 3858 inhabitants. This town is situated on the river Colne, and on the high road from London to Norwich, through Bury-St. Edmund's: it is neither lighted nor paved, and is supplied with water from springs

Oxborough in Norfolk County England History and Geography

OXBOROUGH, a parish in the southern division of the hundred of GREENHOE, county of NORFOLK, 3 miles (E.N.E.) from Stoke-Ferry, containing 320 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, with the vicarage of Foulden united, in the archdeaconry of Norfolk, and diocese of Norwich, rated in the king's books at 18. 6. 8

Salkeld (Great) in Cumberland County England History and Geography

SALKELD (GREAT), a parish in LEATH ward, county of CUMBERLAND, 3 miles (S. by W.) from Kirk-Oswald, containing 403 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, held with the archdeaconry of Carlisle, in the diocese of Carlisle, rated in the king's books at 22. 10. 10., and endowed with 200 private benefaction, and 600 royal bounty. The church is dedicated to St

Sandgate in Kent County England History and Geography

SANDGATE, a chapelry partly within the liberty of the town of FOLKESTONE, and partly in the parish of CHERITON, hundred of FOLKESTONE, lathe of SHEPWAY, county of KENT, 1 mile (W. by S.) from Folkestone

Staindrop in Durham County England History and Geography

STAINDROP, a parish in the south-western division of DARLINGTON ward, county palatine of DURHAM, comprising the market town of Staindrop, and the townships of Hilton, Langley-Dale with Shotton, Raby with Keverstone, Wackerfield, and Woodland, and containing 2047 inhabitants, of which number, 1273 are in the town of Staindrop, 5 miles (N.E. by E.) from Barnard-Castle, and 244 (N.N.W